Thursday, January 7, 2010

Simple Food

I have had soup on the mind lately. I can't think of a better food that provides such a large variety of flavors, textures and ingredients while filling you up healthily and inexpensively.

Home made soup seems to be a lost art. Just looking around the grocery store you can see rows and rows of canned soup...which is great for a convenient meal, but have you ever read the back of those cans? Do you really need MSG in your meal? My grandparent's grew up in Ireland and as my Nana says have "never bought that canned stuff". Maybe some of that desire to make my own food (and know what I am consuming) got passed down from them. In any case, I am enjoying my winter of soup making. There is something very satisfying about putting some ingredients, some water and a few spices in a pot, going for a walk and coming back to a house filled with the delicious smell of your meal.

In the last few weeks I have had the pleasure of indulging in:
Onion soup with home-made croutons from Jim Lahey's "No Knead Bread"
Sweet split pea soup (secret ingredient...sweet potatoes!)
Tortilla soup (with homemade salsa and some fresh cilantro)

and last night my personal favorite
Roasted sweet potato soup with curried apples accompanied with fresh out of the oven Ballymaloe Bread (a whole wheat soda bread from my Celtic cookbook) and a pomegranate, roasted walnut, Parmesan cheese and mixed green salad. A perfect winter meal!

Next on the agenda: Spicy English Parsnip soup

No comments:

Post a Comment