Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sabbath


I have always been inspired by people, especially really busy people, who manage to consistently set some time aside for rest and rejuvenation. Last night, I met two very busy people, who managed to set aside a whole day just to do things that they truly enjoyed. I loved the way they described their decision as "a way to recognize that our worth is not determined by our work." I hope that when I enter my graduate program I can carry a similar attitude with me.

Since I am blessed with more free time this year, I have been able to consistently rest on Sundays, but today I felt especially eager to really enjoy the day. So I baked some bread, made two delicious meals, cooked a pumpkin and roasted its seeds, took a walk, and had dinner with my grandmother.
Teach me, O Lord, your way that I may walk in your truth;
direct my heart that it may fear your name.
Psalm 86:11

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Kate
    I only eat potatoes (more like hashbrowns) on Sundays- my rest from intense vegetarian St. Olaf food.
    Our God is a living God!!
    I miss you!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, this is SO BEAUTIFUL. I have also been trying (with varied success) to set aside one day -- or at least a part of one day -- each week not to do schoolwork. Mostly it ends up being a trip into the city to go to "my" church, along with time spent just walking around enjoying the hustle and bustle and amazing vibrancy of life in the big city. Even if I *do* find the need to study, I treat myself by going to a different library or a cute coffee shop, something that helps remind me that school doesn't have to be just blaahhh all the time. I love the fact that you cooked an ENTIRE pumpkin and had dinner with your grandma! And, just so you know, I'm going to make your granola this afternoon! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete