Sunday, January 24, 2010

National Soup Month

As I read the paper this morning I was delighted to learn that January is National Soup Month.
How perfect for my winter of soup making (which I really have to credit my boyfriend with since it was his idea). Tonight was Spicy Black Bean soup, accompanied with some home made whole wheat tortillas.

Soup is pretty no nonsense, you get what you see. It is not really the most attractive dish (although some squash soups do dazzle with their brilliant colors) and it definitely is not as flashy as a souffle or a rich quiche. But it seems like a very practical, content, and economical food. So, it seemed perfect that today in my book "A Shepard Looks at Psalm 23" by Phillip Keller he was talking about humbleness and contentment. The best few lines had to be:
"It is the humble heart walking quietly and contentedly in the close and intimate companionship of Christ that is at rest, that can relax..."
What a beautiful thought to remember, that amidst this crazy world we have an everlasting source of true peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment