Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My adult voice


It seems like a short time ago that I was sitting at my desk, with my pencil, listening to my teacher who seemed so knowledgeable, together, and so much older.

Today I found myself as the teacher....of 11 squirming second graders. For a whole hour and a half, these 8 and 9 year olds must sit still (or relatively so) and learn about Jesus. Not an easy feat after a full day of school, and especially difficult due to some sugar laden cupcakes and juice boxes brought in for snack....

Due to these circumstances I found that I had to use my "adult voice" much more than usual. This voice seems to appear when needed most (i.e. some boys take it upon themselves to, take your pick: stand on chairs, frantically close and open the lockers at the back of the room, try and eat one of their classmates' cupcake) When the effects of my "adult voice" began wearing off attention was garnered using a short game of Simon Says (involving religious trivia), and 30 seconds of wiggle time.

*Next time the cupcakes are going to wait until the last 15 minutes of class

No comments:

Post a Comment